Friday 5 February 2016

Crochet Hot Water Bottle Covers

I had been meaning to try a crochet hot water bottle cover for ages and before Christmas I decided they would make excellent Christmas presents for my two daughters - mostly because they use mini hot water bottles and they would be fairly quick to make up!
I found some guidance online from various other blogs with how to shape the pattern and I started with a simple half treble stitch for the first one. I used the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran wool in a pretty pale powder blue.
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran Silver 202
It took a few attempts to get the shaping right but I was pleased with the finished result
Crochet Hot Water Bottle Cover
I added a pretty scalloped trim in a white wool at the top and crocheted a heart motif which I sewed onto the front as a little added detail as the cover was fairly plain in itself.
I was working with a new Brittany birch crochet hook that I have started stocking in the shop recently and I have to say they are the loveliest hooks I have ever worked with - mostly because they area bit longer and don't rub the palm of your hand as you work.
Then it was onto the next cover and I decided to try a new stitch that I hadn't worked up before but have wanted to try for ages. It is called Linen stitch and is a simple dc followed by a ch all the was along the row, on the alternate rows you work a dc in each ch space.
Linen Stitch Crochet Hot Water Bottle Cover
Because I was working quickly on these two covers, I gave up writing a pattern as I went as Christmas was fast approaching so I have since made a third cover working more slowly in order to write it up as I went.
I used a rich red still in the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran as I knew this would then work for the February article for the Sherborne Times magazine - The Valentines issue!
Crochet hot water bottle cover
The colour really pops against this pretty fabric, find the free pattern here!
I hope you enjoyed this post - please let me know if you attempt the pattern and email me a picture..
If you would like any help with the pattern do pop along to the free weekly Yarn Bee every Friday from 10am-12pm

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Butterfly Bright | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig